- Your website:
- What is your day job, and do you have other hobbies?:
I am a Nuclear trained Electrician’s Mate in the US Navy. Without getting into the boring details, I operate and maintain the electrical distribution system and associated systems onboard the Navy’s submarines. Currently, I am on shore duty as a recruiter in Danvers, MA.
- When did you start obstacle course racing? Tell us about your first race.:
I started obstacle course racing in Amesbury during 2011. My first race was the Warrior Dash. You know, the one where everyone got the infamous “Warrior Rash”? Not the best of choices for my first run, but I had a blast! I ran the race in a Warrior costume with my face painted Navy blue and gold. Go Navy!
- What was your biggest accomplishment at an obstacle course race? What made it your biggest accomplishment (overcame a fear, injury, disability etc?):
My biggest accomplishment so far was making it over the large walls at Fenway unassisted. Up until that point, I always had trouble making it over on my own. The best experience was finishing my first Spartan Beast in Vermont 2012. My running buddy and myself set a goal to finish in under 6 hours, and we made it in about 5:55!
- What attracts you to obstacle course races? Why do you keep coming back?:
I would say the social aspect of it. I’ve never been a competitive person, and I never run a race to win. There’s just something fun about running towards an obstacle covered mountain with a group of 20+ friends!
- What are your training and/or diet routines? Do you have other athletic pursuits?:
I don’t really follow any specific routines, just the usual endless amounts of burpees..push ups..running..pull-ups…burpees..burpees..burpees.. It seems to have worked well for me so far!
- Were you always athletic? If not, what athletic changes have you made to keep up the obstacle course race lifestyle?:
No I have not.. I wouldn’t say I have made very many changes, I just finally got off the couch and started moving!
- Who, alive or dead, would you invite to run an obstacle course race with you?:
Hmm.. that’s a tough one. I would run with everyone and anyone who is willing! If I had to choose, I guess I would say my father. I look forward to being able to run an OCR with him sooner rather than later!
- Tell us a fun fact about yourself that we may not know!:
The Batman mask I run with was actually purchased as a gag-gift by my wife.. She never expected me to wear it to races, or outside of the house at all!
- What are your goals? Next race, next season … what’s in your future?:
The only goals I have are to continue to help our team and sport grow. I love being a New England Spahten, and I will always represent at the races!