This recipe comes courtesy of resident Spahten Katie Webber, and I have to admit this one looked good! She included the photo and all calorie/macro info for this recipe as well. (Thank you!!) This isn’t Paleo, but definitely a healthy recipe that I can see going down well with kids. So now on to Katie’s recipe!
Homemade Baked Ziti with Ground Turkey
16-20oz 99% lean ground turkey
15oz Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
12oz box of Smart Taste Penne
½ Cup of Egg Beater (or egg whites)
1 cup Parmesan Cheese (you can use mozzarella cheese if you want)
1 cup Ragu Light (No Sugar Added Tomato & Basil)
2.5 cups Hunts Premium Pasta Sauce (No Sugar Added)
Spices to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; lightly spray a 13×9 casserole dish with cooking spray
2. Cook Pasta al dente according to the box, while browning the turkey in a frying pan (I sprayed
a little olive oil spray into the pan first because there is not enough fat in it to prevent it from
sticking) I also added some spices to the turkey to give it some flavor.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta cheese, ¼ cup parm cheese, and egg beaters until pretty
well mixed. Add in the pasta and mix well.
4. Layer the bottom of the pan with 1 cup of sauce. Layer the pasta/cheese mix over top of that
and spread it as evenly as possible.
5. In another mixing bowl combine ground turkey with the remaining 2.5 cups of sauce (add spices
if you wish). Mix well and then layer on top on the casserole.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of parm cheese over the top
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 mins
8. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 mins
9. Makes 8 Servings
These are the ingredients I had at my house at 12am so that is what I used, but you could probably use
Mozz cheese and any kind of sauce. Here are the nutrition facts for my dish:
4 g fat
.25g saturated fat
48 g cholesterol
815.6 mg sodium