* Name: Joe Benoit
* Website: http://www.edibleendurance.com/
* Age: 9/19/1965
* What is your day job, and do you have other hobbies?:
I work at Trader Joe’s in Shrewsbury,Ma. about 35hrs a week and my own Co.(Edible Endurance) about 20,but that #is growing all the time :). Before TJ’s i ran a asphalt crew for around 20yrs. Ive done many athletic challenges over the years including Body building,Strong man and straight out running races. Within all this i have studied many different styles of training and countless hrs on nutrition. I did get a personal trainers certificate from The American Academy of Personal Training..a 8month course which included just about everything. I also am a certified Archery hunter and love fishing for Strippers down the cape. Mostly what i love to do is hike mountains..Ive done all 4000ftrs in New Hampshire more than once and several many times.
* When did you start obstacle course racing? Tell us about your first race
My 1st race was a TM in May of 11,had a blast and racing since,it was also my 2nd(where i placed 5th) and 3rd(3rd). My first SR was the Ultrabeast last year..finished 32nd and it took me10:04,actually left to much in the tank trying to pace myself, as i never did anything like that before,and feel i could have done much better. Won a free season pass and have raced alot this year..which lead me here :). I am having a great time racing and meeting new people,up and down the east coast, and groups,and still learning every race.
* What was your biggest accomplishment at an obstacle course race? What made it your biggest accomplishment (overcame a fear, injury, disability etc?)
Ultrabeast. Death Race on radar for next year!
* What attracts you to obstacle course races? Why do you keep coming back?
Attraction is the competition..keep coming back because of the great people i meet.
* What are your training and/or diet routines? Do you have other athletic pursuits?
At this point in my life nutrition far out ways the training..and is really what i attribute my capabilities to. I run once a week,between 3 and 6 miles,climb/hike once a week and do some strength training in between.Eating right is a daily routine..ALWAYS.
* Were you always athletic? If not, what athletic changes have you made to keep up the obstacle course race lifestyle?
Ive always been an athlete. Started playing hockey at 7 and played through my college years at New Hampshire College,on a scholarship. Dabbled in Lax a bit as well.
* Who, alive or dead, would you invite to run an obstacle course race with you?
Everyone needs to enjoy the fun and people at these events! 🙂
* Tell us a fun fact about yourself that we may not know!
* What are your goals? Next race, next season … what’s in your future?
I would like to finish this year in the top 50 and #1 in my age group across the nation.